Monday, October 22, 2012

Has Sister Lamb Lost her Mind or Getting in the Right One?


Hello Family,

Love you!

So! It’s been another good week :). The weather has been nice, although a little rainy at times. I am just praying for another mild winter. I wouldn't mind snow; I am just scared of the freezing cold temperatures.
So let’s see. What happened this week?
Well, I had an interesting experience this week. A woman came into the Trail Center and when I went to greet her, she headed straight for the bathroom. When she returned, I walked over to greet and was given a "You're just all over me like a piece of fresh meat." Not sure what to say about this, I laughed it off and then proceeded to greet her. She told me that she is working on writing a book about a young boy on the Mormon Trail. It became apparent that she was not a member of the church and we started around the gallery. The first question she asked me was about the type of soil that the pioneer would have encountered as they reached crossings of the Sweetwater River. As I attempted to share some of the stories of the pioneers, she made it clear that she was only interested in the topography of the trail. As she proceeded to run her eyes and hands over every map every map, picking out hills and plains, I continued trying to help her. When we were near the odometer, she spouted off some facts about wagon wheels and other things. I asked her where she had learned these things, to which she said "I have been talking to educated people about these types of things." And then glared at me for a few moments before continuing on. A few moments later, I tried to explain to her that while her research may be helpful for her writing, that she was missing something much bigger and more important that little facts. I bore my testimony of the pioneers and their example. She wasn't too excited about this and as we continued to talk, began talking very sternly to me "Look here, missy, stop trying to convert me." Then went into a rant about Mormons, Baptists, and 7th Day Adventists all thinking that they are right and that everyone else is going to hell. She mentioned her sister, who apparently is a member of our church, who is also trying to convert her. I just bore my testimony over and over about missionary work and what we believe and the pioneers and so many things. Through the whole thing, I felt perfectly calm and felt that I knew exactly what to say. I said many things that I have never said before and in ways that I have said. Although it was difficult to have her respond in the way that she did and I certainly did not want to make her angry, I know that it was the Spirit that was telling me what to say. People don't offend other people. People choose to be offended and as hard as it was, this woman was not happy with what I was saying. Eventually she walked away, but as much as I wanted to get out of there, I felt that I needed to stay. She wandered by the ship and train for a minute before we rejoined at the handcart, where she pointed out the rawhide on the wheels. I told her about the Martin handcart company and quoted from Francis Webster, all from memory- something which I have never been able to do before. "Cold historic fact mean nothing here, for they give no proper interpretation of the questions involved. Mistake to send the handcart train out so late in the season? Yes. But I was in that company and my wife was in it . . . . We suffered beyond anything you can imagine and may died of exposure and starvation. ... We became acquainted with Him in our extremities. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay." I bore my testimony of the pioneers one more time. She shook my hand and left.  I have no idea what was going on in her mind at this point and I will probably never know the rest of the story, but I do know that what happened was directed by Heavenly Father. I know that what I said was what He wanted me to say and what she needed to hear, even if it was not what she wanted to hear.
That's probably the most memorable thing that happened this week. I don't know if it’s really what I want to remember though. It makes me sad just thinking about it.
We have been doing more cleaning this week for Tana- one of the less actives in the ward. She is have a housing check on November 14th, so we need to get her apartment clean before then so that she doesn't get kicked out, because then we would be in real trouble! She also has a lot of health problems, so can't do much herself or is in such bad shape that she can’t come to church. We threw a bunch of stuff away and found the floor in her dining room and cleaned her kitchen, but we have a lot to go before we are done. It is probably not the most effective thing to spend a lot of our time doing, but definitely better than her getting kicked out. We are going to try and get the ward more involved as well so we can get it all done.
Holly is doing well. She has been reading the scriptures, which is a great improvement. We have been texting her a scripture to read every day, so that has been helping her to remember. That seems like it is the biggest problem: remembering. That’s probably why the Book of Mormon says that word so often. We just need to get her praying and she will be on her way to a testimony! She has been sick this last week though, and is still sick, but had to go back to work today.
Ok. Here is the other crazy thing that has been happening lately. I think that Heavenly Father has been making me LOSE my mind so that He can show me tender mercies. Just please don't worry about me when you read this. So a couple of weeks ago, Sister Brown and I stopped to fill up one of the cars with gas. I got out to pump the gas and Sister Brown was washing the windows. We did our thing and then hopped back in the car, which was when I started looking for the keys. I eventually noticed them still in the ignition. The car was still on and running. I have heard that if you do that, your car could explode, but I don't want to try it again to find out. This week, we went to help at the clinic agina like I have done in the past. This time, it was rainy and we were running late, so when we arrived, we quickly parked and ran inside. As we were at the clinic, I though "I hope that I didn't leave the headlights on." But felt that it would be ok. Later, I though again "I hope that I didn't lock the key sin the car" But again felt like it would be fine. 3 hours later, when we went out to our car, I was searching through by bag, but could not find the keys. We walked out side and saw the windshield wipers going. ... . The car had been running, doors unlocked, in the middle of downtown Omaha, for three hours! First I felt like an idiot. Then I just felt really grateful that it had not been stolen. "I, (Sister Lamb), will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith" Yeah.
So, that been the amazing things that have happened this week. Pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.
Love you!
Sister Melly

PS. Now that the office staff has changed around, they are only delivering our mail from the mission office about once a week, if that. I will make sure I get my birthday package- I will go get it if I have to- but in the future, you can start sending things directly to the Trail Center:
3215 State St, Omaha, NE, 68112. (Assuming I don't get sent out full pros. . . :))

No comments:

Post a Comment