Friday, June 8, 2012

Sister Aunty-to-Be Gets to Work with Vision and Talent


Dear family,

Love you!

This last week, I finally got Katie's letter about her good news. It was postmarked on the 22 of May, but I did not get it until the 1st of June. I immediately ripped it open and read it. Hooray! Baby! I told Sister Belka and she said "Sister Lamb! we are going to be aunts!" I guess she was a little confused about who was having the baby. I told her that I was not sharing. Every once in a while, I will remember and look at Sister Belka and say "baby!".. It makes me happy.

So, today we found out about transfers and tomorrow is the day when we make the switch. After a long wait (we were some of the last ones to find out what was going on) we found out that. . . Sister Belka and I are staying together in Millard. She will still be Trail Center Leader with Sister Proctor. We are also getting a second set of missionaries in the Millard area. It will be Elder Miller and he is training a new missionary. So that is awesome! We are so excited! There is lots of work to be done in the Millard area and we are trying to figure out how this will work, but its going to be so fun!

There is a quote from President Monson that I feel like helps explain the beginning of my mission a lot. It says "Work with out vision is drudgery. Vision without work is daydreaming. Work coupled with vision will insure your success." I like that quote a lot and I share it with people all the time. The beginning of my mission felt a lot like Work Without Vision. We worked really hard, but it felt like it was to no point. We just put in a lot and got nothing out. But a big part of that was that I didn’t really know what it was that I was trying to accomplish. I did not have any vision of what we were working towards, so the work was terrible because I had no motivation. The second part of my mission was a lot of fun and we still worked, but we still were not accomplishing a lot. At the beginning of the transfer, Elder Watson told us that we were supposed to have a lot of fun that transfer and we did just what he said. We got along very well, we had fun, we tried not to worry too much. It’s not quite like vision without work, but its kind of the same idea. Now, I am in phase 3 of the mission. We work hard and we accomplish a lot. We have a very clear idea of what we want to accomplish, we have a great support system from the ward, and we are seeing so many miracles! We see many of them every day. I think that what I have been learning this last transfer is really love the work and how to work hard and have fun. I am so grateful for the time I have been able to serve with Sister Belka and I am so excited to be able to spend another transfer with her. We were both really nervous that we were going to get split up, but we ended up being one of the only companionships that did not get switched around, along with our roommates the Lake View Sisters. So, our little family is going to be staying together.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve in the Trail Center. Before I came here, my idea of what visitors centers are was just like a tour where they tell you nice things and then pressure you into giving a referral. I hated visitors centers. But, I have come to realize that that is not what visitors centers are for. They serve the same purpose as the missionary purpose, to invite others to come unto Christ- both members and nonmembers. Although there are people that come into to Trail Center just looking to learn about the history and don't need much, there are many people that come in that need a lot more. They may not have come in looking for answers to their questions or to gain a new perspective on life or for a desire to change, but that is what many of them leave with. I remember a college teacher saying "Treat everyone you meet like they are going through something serious and 90% of the time you will be right." That is so true. There are so many people that are in need of the Savior and we have the unique opportunity to help them find that relationship through the example of the pioneers. The Trail Center isn’t just where people go to learn about the history, it is where lives are changed every day! It took a man coming into the Trail Center and saying some really rude things to me about missionaries in Visitors Centers for me to realize that, but I am grateful now that I was able to step back and evaluate what we do here because my testimony of the power of the Trail Center has grown so much. I am so grateful to serve here.

Well other than that, we have seen so many miracles this last week. With only 8 hours in the area this week, we were able to accomplish so much! We have a ton of referrals from other missionaries and members and it is so awesome! Sister Belka took a nonmember from our area on tour at the TC and he wants to continue meeting with us. We met a man who was so thrilled to talk to us because he saw the mormon.org commercials and really wanted to know that we believe. A family in the ward just adopted a girl from Peru and she is getting baptized on the 23! So many miracles! I can't even list them all. Its so great!

Sorry if I say the same things over and over again. I feel like I think about things a lot and then I am never really sure what I actually say and what is just rolling around in my head. I guess if you hear it more than once, it means that I think about it a lot.

I am always amazed how Heavenly Father puts us in the path of the people that need us the most and that we personally will be most able to help. A couple of weeks ago, Sister Belka and I bought some dresses. They have long, sheer skirts, but the slip underneath is too short, to we decided to buy some fabric to add the the length of the slip. We stopped at Hancock today and as we were walking in, a younger man and his daughter were following us in and he asked us if we do alterations. We were both kind of confused and said no, sorry. In my head I was just thinking, I can’t do that because I am on a mission. Then later, we saw him at the cutting table and started talking to him about what he was doing. His daughter had a blanket that she had had since she was born that was totally shredded and dirty, so he was buying some new fabric to make a new one. The only problem was that he didn't know how he was going to put it together, which is why he was asking us if we do alterations. Still in my mind, I was thinking, that's too bad. I hope that he can find someone to do that for him. . . After talking to him for 10 minutes or so, it finally hit me and I told him that I would put together the blanket for him. (basically just two sheets of minky fabric) - Hello service project. I am so glad that Heavenly Father was patient with me and gave me enough opportunities for me to realize what was going on and that it is OK for me to sew, it just has to be for the right reason. So, I will be getting to work on that. We gave him a restoration pamphlet and he said he was interested in learning about the church, so that good. Let's just keep the sewing service opportunities coming! It has amazed me lately how so many of the sisters in the Trail Center have been finding opportunities to use their talents, so I am happy that I am able to use mine too!

OK! Love you so much!

Sister Melly

I hope that you are doing so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment