Monday, December 12, 2011

Sister Melan Type Cast as a Super Hero


December 12, 2011


Dearest Family,

We are having a discussion right now about how fast we type. I always look over at Sister Kusnerik's computer and she has a couple of pages written on her third or fourth email that she has written in our hour allotment. Then there is me. I can hardly write a short email to President Kunz, something in response to the email Mom wrote, and then write this email. It takes me forever. Maybe the hardest part is that I never know what to say and I start looking back at the past week and I feel like we didn’t do anything worth writing and then when my the time is almost gone  I find something to write about and type it out, there is no time left. Sister Proctor offered to type for me, but I an not sure I would know what to tell her to say or that she would think I was silly/ weird for writing the things that I wrote. Ha ha. Maybe by the end of my mission I will learn to be a faster typist. Probably not. Or maybe I will just learn how to pell words, because it seems that I am not doing a very good job at that. (Look, I didn't even spell the word spell right). That’s terrible.
This last week . . . what did we do? Nothing. Not a thing. It really doesn’t bother me that much that people don’t always want to listen to us or suddenly stop calling us back or whatever. I probably should care more. I have just come to expect it,  I think. You kind of start to feel when someone is losing interest or when you are starting to waste your time with someone, even if you haven't seen or talked to them. We literally just did not have any time in our area this last week. A lot of it has to do with things that Sister Kusnerik needs to get done, either in the Trail Center or in preparation for going home. As much as I have learned from her and grown and changed and have enjoyed being her companion, I am ready for something new, for a change. I think that she is too. Today, we have been doing some shopping for her for shoes and a new outfit to wear home. It is interesting to see her normal style, because it is not the same as her missionary style (obviously).
Let’s see, one very exciting thing that happened this week was that we were finally able to meet Julia’s dad. She is the girl who came up to her friend Matt and asked how to become a Mormon and has been coming to church ever since. Her dad was really nice, laid-back but responsible, and told us that she can do whatever she would like as long as she has seriously thought through it and knows exactly what she is getting into. So, it looks like we may be having a baptism very soon! Pretty exciting. Everyone else seems to be putting us off until after Christmas. I understand that. The holidays are a busy time for everyone and family should come first. Well, second I guess. After Christ. They just don't know it yet.
On Thursday, we had district meeting. We drove together from the church building to Olive Garden to have lunch for Sister K's last district lunch. We went around the table and each person told one thing that they admire about every other person. It took a little while, and I was really not on board at first, but it ended up being a really good experience. I think that it was exactly what a lot of the missionaries in our district needed. My favorite moment was that when they got to me, Sister K started singing "Sister Lamb keeps me safe from sin, Sister Lamb is the power to win, etc, and everyone joined in. Ha ha. It was great. Other great moment, while we were there, it started snowing and the roads were getting a little slippery. On the way back, we saw a car that had slid off the road, so we pulled over in our 12 passenger van and 8 elders piled out and pushed the car out, we handed them some pass along cards, jumped back in the van, and sped off. It was like some crazy, weird super heroes or something. They have not idea what hit them. Well I guess they do. The MORMONS! After we got our car, we went to the Old Mill sisters’ apartment to do training. While we were there, the cars were grounded, so we had a surprise sleepover there. It was a lot of fun. Sister Baker and I went to visit/ help a less active that lives near by and we read some talks and caught up on training that we had missed in the last couple of days. We are almost done! This week the last week of the 12 week training program, and then I am officially a trained missionary! Ah ha! Sister Baker and I also were writing in the snow as we went to the less active’s apartment. We wrote "Jesus loves you" in the snow, but we passed by a couple minutes later and someone had parked over the top of the J so it said "esus loves you". We also tried to write
mormon.org in cursive but I accidentally did cursive n’s instead of m's so it said nornon. It was a good try. Oh, and we made snow angels. And handed out some pass along cards and met some former investigators. It was great.
Well, that is all the time I have for this week.
Love you!
Sister Melan

No comments:

Post a Comment