Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sister Melly"s Email 9/13/2011


Dear Family,

This week has gone by so fast! They told us when we first got here that if we could just make it through Sunday of that first week, the time would go so much faster after that. I didn't believe them because time was moving pretty quickly to begin with, but it is definitely moving faster now!

Just love my district a lot. They are so funny, but sometimes it is hard for all of us to be focused, especially after one of them shares a scripture about women not talking in the church for the spiritual thought. Yeah. It happens. But they definitely make things more interesting. It will be hard to see them leave next week and then it will just be the Sisters all by our lonesome for another week. This last week, we had Elder Wilson with us. I think I mentioned him last week as well. His father died right before he entered the MTC and his cousin, who was like a sister to him, was killed in a car accident about a week ago, so they allowed him to stay in the MTC and attend her funeral last Saturday. He is such an amazing Elder. So humble and faithful. He bore his testimony on Sunday in Sacrament meeting and everyone was crying afterwards. I was really sad to see him leave on Monday. Our district feels really empty without him. He definitely made a great contribution to our district and had a great effect on the elders especially. Last Wednesday, Elder Mungia broke the record for most glasses of orange juice drank during one meal. He drank fourteen. I'm probably glad that I wasn't there to see it, but it's pretty obvious that the Elders need some entertainment, so if that's what they need to keep from going crazy, go for it I guess. One of the other elders, Elder Burt, is a sleep talker. One night, he was asleep and his roommates heard him say "I forgot to highlight my "Preach My Gospel!”. When his companion, Elder Mungia, told him that he was fine and that he was just confused, Elder Burt said "I'm fine. I know where I am. I'm at the MTC. I'm going to the Indianapolis mission. Obama is the president. And my companion is a jerk." And then went back to sleep. I hope that I get a companion who sleep talks. It would be so entertaining!

While Elder Mugnai was completing his orange juice challenge, Sister Pinchak and I were sitting at the place where our district normally sits and President Nally and President McIff, the two counselors in the MTC Presidency, came and sat across the table with us. The fist thing that President Nally said to us was "So which one of you has 2 Nephi 31 memorized?" We both said "What?" He stopped to say a prayer and luckily never brought it up again. I was pretty nervous. The next day, they came and sat with us again, only this time the other two sisters from our district were sitting with us. After President Nally started quizzing them, Sister Pinchak and I quickly found an excuse to sneak away. Ha ha! It was nice to talk to them, but I sure don't want to risk it again!

On Sunday, we were at the devotional and one of the ushers asked Sister Bown and Wilson if they wanted to sit in the front row and then invited Sister Pinchak and me to sit with them, so we were right there, right in front of the MTC President while he talked. We felt pretty special and the elders were a little jealous :)

This last week, we have been teaching an "investigator" and a "less active" in the TRC. Both experiences were pretty funny. When we taught the "less active", Courtney (an older man), we walked in, he told us his whole story, told us exactly what he expected us to do for him, and then committed himself to coming back to church, making up with people he had offended, and stopping drinking and other bad habits. It was great! All we had to do was tell him that we (and Heavenly Father) would be there for him and reassure him that he was not wasting our time by asking us to come visit with him. The investigator, Michael, was a similar story. His friend, who was also there, had to keep reminding him of his name. He was super straightforward with all of his feelings and believed everything that we said. It's nice to teach this kind of investigators because there is no way you can come away feeling bad about yourself, but it sure doesn't feel like its helping us either.

The mailroom is being moved right now, so we are not getting any mail or packages until Thursday.

Love you!

Sister Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment